YWCA Ottawa St N, Hamilton

Building History:

In 1925 the YMCA opened the East End facilities to address the needs of the women working in the factories all day; offered activities for women which included: singing, dancing, dramatics, basket weaving, making gifts and books. Eventually the facility expanded to include a fitness center, an indoor pool and a gymnasium. It was determined in 2016 that this property would be demolished making way for a new YWCA mixed use development with 50 social housing units.

Project Summary:

YWCA requested deconstruction of components of original brick house for use in the new future development and for salvage. Our deconstruction team removed select items from inside the building. The Deconstruction and Demolition Teams worked together to protect and remove the 3 main floor windows, and YWCA stone work from the roof line.

Items Salvaged:

  • 1900’s Upright Grand Piano
  • Desk – Converted from 1880’s Flat Grand Piano Base
  • Vintage Windows
  • Antique Wood Doors
  • Vintage Faux Columns
  • Fireplace Surround & Fireplace Mantle
  • Vintage Tumbler Vault
Please follow and like us: